Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cooking For Kids

Waka Whanake member Amber entered the Book Island Bake Off Competition with her Granny and their AMAZING Summer Berry Flan won them some book vouchers for herself and for our school! We are so proud of Amber and her Granny. Here is an explanation from Amber and her Granny...

Hi,

My name is Amber. I am nearly 8ys old and have been baking with my Mum, Dad and Granny since I was about 3yrs.   Some of my family have dairy allergies so this is good for us. My sisters and cousins all love this cake.

To make my special cake Granny and I made the flan first, I beat the eggs with a beater and added the sugar then we added the flour, it is quite hard to fold the flour into the egg mixture but it just takes practise. We put it in the oven for 10 minutes when it was brown Granny took it out because it was too hot for me and she turned onto a cake rack to cool. 


Ambers Summer Berry Jelly Flan.

Sponge Flan

3 eggs, 1 pinch of salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup flour sieved with 3/4 tsp baking powder.

Beat eggs and salt until creamy, add sugar slowly.  Fold in flour and baking powder.

Pour into a greased flan tin and cook for 10 mins at 200deg.

Jelly topping.

2 raspberry jellies, 1 tsp gelatine,  400gms frozen raspberries.

Put 2 jellies and gelatine in a bowl with 3 cups hot water, stir until dissolved, add the frozen raspberries they thaw in the hot mixture and pour into a jelly mould.  I use a Tupperware one which is a ring so I can fill the centre with fresh berries.

 
Put the flan on a big plate then we  tip the jelly onto it and put cut up strawberries into the centre and whole ones around the edge. See the picture of me cutting the flan.
 
 
Have you got any yummy baking recipes you could share with us?? Or maybe you could try make Amber's Summer Berry Jelly Flan at home? Leave us a comment because we LOVE to hear from you.
 

16 comments:

  1. Wow Amber what an amazing chef you are! What a great way to get everyone to share their favourite recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a yummy looking cake. I am going to make that. Thanks for the receipe Amber. JN

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah amber hey um could you bake another one of those for me and bring it to school

    ReplyDelete
  4. wilson seth tai kenzi bodiMarch 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM

    hi it's Wilson seth kenzi bodi and tai here amber we are going to make this at home.
    how do you make it look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great job I wish I can taste it and I liked the way you made it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber that look's delicious I want to make that

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Ms Fraser and students,

    Thanks for registering for the March 2014 blogging challenge. Make sure you visit the blog every week starting 9th March, when the first challenge is published.

    If you want a reminder sent to your email each week, use the "Subscribe by email" on the right sidebar of the challenge blog.

    Also make sure you visit blogs from other classes around the world with similar ages - see list in blog header.

    Feel free to add the 2014 badge to your blog.

    Miss W or tasteach - challenge organizer

    PS If using blogger platform, please have Name/URL as an option when leaving comments. If using kidblog, make sure readers can read and comment on posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amber that looks delicous i mite make it.
    ps i mite bring it to school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yum Amber I might make that

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME! AMBER! me and mum will give it a go. oh and by the way what is another of your AWESOME recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi amber that is one yummy cake it looks lovly I want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hay Amber I'VE got a strawberry garden and we keep getting humungous strawberry's and I wood like to try that cake

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow amber looks deliocous can I have it oh buy the waythanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi amber can you make that cake again and bring it after school for seth and fin

    ReplyDelete
  15. you a one good baker can i joun in one day

    ReplyDelete
  16. whoo Amber the cake making machine

    ReplyDelete